Farming Base (farmingbase.com) is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This site also participates in other affiliate programs and is compensated for referring traffic and business to them.
Chicken and duck eggs are quite popular and used in a variety of recipes. Eggs are a staple food all around the world, so, people who like variety want to know more about goose eggs? Do geese lay eggs? If yes, how often do they lay eggs? Geese are adorable creatures that mesmerize everyone with their beauty.
If you are planning to raise geese, it is better to know about goose egg production to calculate profit.
Besides all, a goose owner should also be aware of the laying season. In this article, you will learn about if, when, and how geese lay eggs.
Do Geese Lay Eggs?
Yes, Geese lay eggs like chickens and ducks, however, their eggs are larger and more seasonal.
They have a strict laying schedule and prefer to lay eggs in the spring and early summer after the mating period starts.
Geese eggs are more precious and flavorful than chickens.
Goose eggs taste similar to duck eggs but are a bit rich and eggy than chicken eggs. It can be cooked and baked in similar ways as other eggs.
Geese Egg Production
Geese have regular breeding and laying schedule throughout the year. Geese lay eggs between March and June and eggs take about 35 days to fully hatch.
Geese, being seasonal layers, do not lay eggs nearly all year like chickens and ducks. They require about 10 hours of daylight to lay eggs.
Egg production varies depending on the breed, age, and climate.
How Do Goose Eggs Taste Like?
Geese eggs can be cooked in the same way as hen eggs. They are delicious and have a richer taste than chicken eggs.
Whether an individual would find it flavorful or not, depends on their eating habits and taste.
When fried or poached, they create quite a dramatic effect on the plate. Geese eggs can be a great addition to the morning breakfast.
Related Do Geese Have Teeth?
How Many Eggs does Goose lay?
The number of eggs a goose lays yearly is dependent on the breed and age. On average, geese can lay between 20 to 40 eggs in a year, however, the number varies for different breeds.
Unlike other birds, the laying season of a goose is not pretty long and lasts only a few months.
Some selectively bred and heavily farmed white geese breeds lay more eggs in a year. Some breeds lay the following eggs
- Toulouse Goose – Toulouse is a heavily farmed breed evolved to have increased egg production. They lay more eggs than most breeds. On average, a single Toulouse goose lays as many as 20 to 40 eggs.
- Canada Goose – Canada Geese lay far fewer eggs than the Toulouse, therefore, not suitable for raising on the farm. In a year, this geese breed lays between four and nine eggs per clutch.
- Egyptian Goose – Egyptian Geese egg production is also not very impressive as the Canada Goose. On average, they lay about eight to nine eggs in a laying season.
- Hawaiian Goose – This geese breed lay between five to ten eggs per clutch.
- Chinese Goose – Chinese geese breed is one of the best egg-laying breeds farmed due to their impressive egg production. They can lay up to 60 eggs in a year.
How Often Do Geese Lay Eggs?
Whereas a chicken can lay up to hundreds of eggs, geese have a limited egg production.
A single female egg can lay one egg every one or two days a week. Some breeds like Chinese Goose or Swan Goose lay eggs more frequently thanks to selective breeding.
Chinese geese are better and more frequent egg producers than other breeds. They start laying eggs after a month when the mating period starts.
Where Do Goose lay eggs?
Even though most people assume that the location does not matter, for a goose it does.
Nest is their favorite most place to lays eggs.
The couple chooses some high location area, preferably hills, covered by bushes and greenery to stay safe from the predators. Having a lake near the hill can be a dream location for the pair.
Fun Facts About Goose Eggs
- Geese lay white eggs that typically weigh between 4 ¼ and 6 ½ ounces.
- A female goose starts laying eggs as early as 9 months old.
- Geese eggs are larger, so, the size of a single goose egg equals two duck eggs and three chicken eggs.
- A goose egg has more calories in comparison to a chicken egg. A single geese egg contains 266 calories. It also has 19g of fat, 20g of protein, and 1227 mg of cholesterol.
After migrating, geese start to lay eggs in the spring. The number of eggs laid by different geese breeds varies vastly. Some breeds lay fewer eggs whereas others are highly productive breeds. Though geese eggs are seasonal, keeping a flock of backyard geese comes with its own rewards beyond providing eggs.
- A meta-analysis on the relationship between goose age and egg weight
- Experimental Study on the Geometrical and Mechanical Properties of Goose Eggshells